15:1 RoxStars Meet Samuel Muston - Meeting Notes
On the hot seat:
- Samuel Muston
Deputy Editor for MR PORTER
- MR PORTER:
- “MR PORTER is the world’s foremost style destination for men, brilliantly fusing content and commerce with world-class editorial”.
- Key themes: Luxury, lifestyle & fashion
- Demographic: Style Makers, Innovators, Premium Seekers, Influencers
- Global audience especially UK, US, Hong Kong, Middle East
- Samuel Muston:
- Samuel Muston works across The Journal and Post.
- Question/Edit: He also contributes to National Geographic Traveller (food column); The Guardian.
- Happy to do breakfasts and lunches near White City and Westfield.
- Tends to avoid group abroad trips.
- Key Top Tip:
- Do not over promise and then fail to deliver - it sours a relationship.
- Strong team of 12 core writers, 30 in the full team (includers designers etc)
- Print: Broadsheet style newspaper published every 2 months – soon to change to tabloid style. Lead time: 3 months. Articles will appear online.
- Online: Weekly online ‘magazine’ which also goes out in a newsletter.
- Separate from print. Works to c. 2 months lead time.
- Covers 7 themes:
- Main Personality interview and fashion shot
- Fashion / Style
- Happy to receive products that are sent in.
- Every pitch – focus on the angle for every story and it has to be interesting:
- If the hook isn’t clearly marked, then Samuel will rarely read on.
- Photos are essential and should be embedded into the email.
- If you don’t know anyone, pitch to Samuel who will divvy it up between the writers who specialise in their own sections. Otherwise go direct to your relationship.
- Travel pitches: Be upfront as to what you want to get out of the invitation.
- Videos: Internal video team are looking to do new more content. Lead time will vary (at least 2 months) depending on location, finance of the trip and length of trip.
- No Christmas Gift Guides – they only use Porter products.
- The Journal
- MR PORTER presents a globally relevant take on men’s lifestyle and fashion with weekly digital magazine The Journal. “Your weekly magazine”.
- The Daily
- Bite Size Style
- Eg eight new craft beers to try this summer, a surprisingly comprehensive guide to grooming your eyebrows, how Vitamin C can upgrade your grooming regime.
- Style Council
- Insider travel & style tips from the world's best-connected men.
- The Journal Archive
- All previous weekly editions.
- Mr Porter YouTube
- 336,701 subscribers
- YouTube channel for more style, inspiration and advice.
- Mr porter's glossary of men's style.
- Read/Shop now style.
- Style Icons
- The legends that inspire Mr Porter.
- Profile opportunities.
- Style Advice Q and A
- The most pressing style questions answered.
- Covering topics: Black Tie, Shoes, Casual Wear, Watches, Formal and Office Attire, Accessories, Seasonal Dressing, Storage and Upkeep.
- The Shoe Guide
- Hundreds of styles, as well as insider tips and expert advice.
- The World of Mr P
- “Created by the team at MR PORTER, Mr P. is a range of clothes and footwear that we ourselves have always wanted: stylish, yet understated; simple, but full of the small touches that matter; affordable, but made to the highest standards. The idea is to make the art of getting dressed that little bit more straightforward, as well as enjoyable. The rest, of course, is up to you.”