Friday Q and A with Emily Turner
Emily is the Editor of Angels & Urchins, a lifestyle title that is indispensable to London parents. The magazine was founded by Emily and her university friend Annie, who run the magazine and website from their homes, combining working and the parenting of lots of children.
1. What makes you open an email from a PR?
Who it is from, both the individual and the company. The title of the email.
2. Would you open emails from PR’s you don’t know?
Yes, but then the title becomes more important - current, relevant and punchy, please. Bad grammar and poor punctuation will make me stop reading - misuse of apostrophes is a modern disease.
3. Do you answer your landline during a working day?
4. Do you like images within a PR pitch?
Yes. And a dropbox link to high res images, please.
5. When is the best time for you to meet a PR?
6. And which day suits the most?
Any day, bar Friday.
7. What are your top 2 tips for a PR trying to secure coverage?
A fun hook.
Good, relevant photos. For me, a great story is often let down by the fact it is supported by dreary interior shots of hotel rooms with no kids.
AND PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, LESS STATS! The world has gone stat mad. They are not great hooks to get coverage; 99 times out of 100 they are meaningless numbers.
8. Are you happy to be contacted via social media / what are the boundaries?
Yes, but I am rubbish at social, so it would not be a good way to find me!
9. Spirulina or Sauvignon?
10. Stylist or The Spectator?
Afraid, i’m afraid I am betraying my age, The Spectator. Though I tend only to read it when I am on holiday. Buying it from WH Smith at the airport means my holiday has begun.
Follow Emily’s travels on Instagram