Friday Q and A with Olivia Lidbury
Olivia is a Freelancer writer and Fashion Consultant. She writes for The Sunday Times Style and does copywriting work for other brands. Olivia covers fashion, interiors and home trends.
1. What makes you open an email from a PR?
Anything that’s not a blanket round-robin. I seem to have ended up on a lot of mailing lists for beauty, which I don’t cover.
If someone has been motivated to drop me a line after reading a story I’ve written in order to get their client on my radar, thinking it could be relevant to me, then that’s simple targeting done well, and with a personal touch.
2. Would you open emails from PR’s you don’t know?
If it sounds interesting enough, then of course…
3. Do you answer your landline during a working day?
I don’t even know my landline, so chapeau to a PR who can get their hands on it!
4. Do you like images within a PR pitch?
Absolutely. A picture paints a thousand words, and all that… I’d hang on to them too, as it may spring a trend idea later down the line.
5. When is the best time for you to meet a PR?
In the mornings, but not just breakfast, which can sometimes feel a tad formal. A mid-morning coffee is also personally convenient for me, and not too time-draining for all concerned.
6. And which day suits the most?
Totally depends on other commitments, so it varies.
7. What are your top 2 tips for a PR trying to secure coverage?
As a freelancer, I need to pitch a story that publications don’t have, so if it’s exclusive access that I can offer (say an exciting new product launch or insight from an authority, or first dibs on images), then that’s going to pique my interest.
In the same vein, do give me a call to find out what I need in order to pitch, or arrange to meet up if there’s a genuine opportunity that what I’m covering and what your clients are doing, could align.
8. Are you happy to be contacted via social media / what are the boundaries?
I’m not particularly active on social, so requests tend to go unanswered. I prefer email.
9. Spirulina or Sauvignon?
Sauvignon, every time.
10. Stylist or The Spectator?
Follow Olivia’s travels on Instagram