Friday Q and A with Sasha Slater
Sasha is Head of Magazines at The Telegraph. She edits the Telegraph Magazine and oversees the group’s other lifestyle brands, including the Luxury and ST titles. Sasha previously worked at Harper’s Bazaar, has an eye for fashion, a natural affinity with luxury and a passion for travel. She lives in Clerkenwell with her husband, two children; Joe and Olga, and two cats; Ollie and Stan.
1. What makes you open an email from a PR?
If I know them and if it seems clearly addressed to me. I’m on some database at the moment as ‘Sarah’, and any email that starts ‘Dear Sarah’ gets automatically deleted.
2. Would you open emails from PR’s you don’t know?
Yes, if it seems specifically for my attention.
3. Do you answer your landline during a working day?
Thank God, it never rings.
4. Do you like images within a PR pitch?
Yes, if they’re relevant to the story pitched.
5. When is the best time for you to meet a PR?
9.30 am and ideally at The Telegraph.
6. And which day suits the most?
No day is particularly better than any other.
7. What are your top 2 tips for a PR trying to secure coverage?
Have a decent story and keep it exclusive.
8. Are you happy to be contacted via social media / what are the boundaries?
Email is better.
9. Spirulina or Sauvignon?
Neither - a decent red, ideally.
10. Stylist or The Spectator?
Follow Sasha’s travels on Instagram