Friday Q and A with Matt Turner
Matt Turner is Editor-In-Chief at Supper Magazine. He oversees the strategic direction and content of Sleeper Magazine and its sister title Supper, both in print and online. He is also the founder of affiliated events including AHEAD (Awards for Hospitality Experience And Design) and Sleepover (Inventive Events for Hotel Innovators).
1. What makes you open an email from a PR?
Recognition of the sender and the subject line.
2. Would you open emails from PR’s you don’t know?
Yes, if the subject looked interesting enough.
3. Do you answer your landline during a working day?
Reluctantly, or accidentally!
4. Do you like images within a PR pitch?
Low-res yes, rather than a Dropbox / WeTransfer link to high-res.
5. When is the best time for you to meet a PR?
Depends on other commitments.
6. And which day suits the most?
Mid-week is usually best.
7. What are your top 2 tips for a PR trying to secure coverage?
• Do your research. Be familiar with our style, subject matter and, particularly, previous coverage of any story you might be pitching. • Don’t phone to see if I received your release!
8. Are you happy to be contacted via social media / what are the boundaries?
No, my social accounts are somewhere on the border between personal and professional, but a PR pitch via Twitter/LinkedIn wouldn’t get read. One via Insta would feel like an intrusion, and I’m not on Facebook
9. Spirulina or Sauvignon?
10. Stylist or The Spectator?
Sleeper, Supper or Starboard ;)