Top Tips from Simon Usborne, Travel Feature Writer and Reporter

Home PR Insights Top Tips from Simon Usborne, Travel Feature Writer and Reporter

Table of Content

Table of Contents

In the hot seat:

Simon Usborne: Feature Writer and Reporter, Financial Times, The Guardian, Independent

Simon’s Focus:

  • Simon Usborne is a general freelance feature writer. 30% of his output is travel writing and the other 70%, general features
  • Simon writes 12 stories a year for the Financial Times – commissioned by Tom Robbins
    • The FT is the only National broadsheet Simon writes for (contractual agreement)
    • ¾ of the stories for the FT come from Tom, the other ¼ are from Simon
  • Other outlets Simon writes for are The Guardian, National Geographic, Mr Porter and BA Highlife
  • Let Simon decide which publication a story would fit best in, PRs just need to feed him the story

Top Tips:

  • Title and 1 paragraph is enough for a press release
  • Simon is always looking for a spark that then leads into the real story – provide a strong narrative
  • History of buildings is important for Simon and he prefers hearing about this to thinks like pillows and thread count in a duvet
  • Advises PRs to think of different papers needs when pitching a story
  • The FT are interested in real, in depth stories – help Simon find the meaning behind the story
  • For National Geographic Simon mainly writes reports – eg Bear conservation in Italy
  • For Mr Porter the stories are mainly round ups eg 7 of the nicest beach resorts in Spain
  • Likes meeting PRs for coffee but prefers an email in the first instance
    • Works from home so has to think logistically about meeting up – a lot of time out of his day
    • Personal approach and relationship building are important for Simon
  • Simon says client events can be of use but need to make sure the speeches are brief, informative and entertaining
    • Does go to evening events but has to be something he envisages writing about
  • Simon recommends always including people within a story, believes people remember the people in a story as they are always the most interesting element

Request a free trial today and learn how Roxhill’s topic led media database can help you effectively target journalists and news outlets around the world.

New call-to-action


Helen Davies shares her insights with Lifestyle...

PR Insights

The Times Property Team with Martina Lees, Senior...


Similar Posts

Get started with Roxhill's PR and Media Database today

Discover the future of PR – easy, powerful, precise. Try Roxhill and start building rewarding connections with the world’s media today!

We use cookies to enhance site navigation, analyze site usage, and assist in our marketing efforts. Accept cookie settings by clicking the button.
You can view our Cookie Policy or Privacy Policy.