In the hot seat:
Lucy Warwick-Ching: Digital and Communities Editor at the Financial Times
- Interacting with readers regularly and reviewing the comments and article stats.
- Works Tuesday to Friday, 9am – 5pm.
- Tuesday is the best day to pitch. Also for 30 min meetings at Bracken House and lunches.
- Wednesday busy with podcast preparation.
Columns / Videos / Podcast / FT Money:
- Video: Money Spinners – 5 minute educational video, 3 questions and fun props. Claer Barrett host.
- Family Money column – tries to write it once a month.
- FT Wealth magazine column – niche ideas that wealthy people are doing
- ‘Your Questions’ column
- Tuesday online / Saturday’s FT Money section
- Weekly FT Money show Podcast: Claer Barrett, produced by Lucy Warwick-Ching
- Recorded Wednesday 11am. Produced every Thursday at 6am.
- Ideas: focus the content on an article we have written that week / main cover piece and who tehy have interviewd. 1-3 voices join the podcast.
- Looking to organise a week in advance.
- 130,000 downloads across FT podcasts a week. FT Money c.40,000
- FT Money print deadline is c. 4pm on a Friday. Much of the weekly online content is picked up into the print Saturday edition / or write up a different slant to the original online piece plus original articles commissioned.
- Thursday have a good grasp of what will appear in Saturday’s print section. Don’t pitch for print edition on Friday.
- Doesn’t answer the phone as often as before due simply to time.
- Email – Gets masses. Subject and 3 bullet points / top line. Make it ‘catchy’. Do ask if your topic of interest is something that FT Money would cover.
- Quotes policy: On the record. No quote checking.
- Surveys: 1,000 surveyed. HNW could be less.
- No weekly team meeting.
- Audience: Younger audience online – 30-50 yrs; Print edition older.
- Interested in:
- Currently no Investment correspondent and so interested in pitches concerning investment ideas.
- Family money / issues; Approaching retirement ideas; social care; sandwich generation;
- Case studies – willing to be quoted and photographed
- Meeting specialists, advisers and those with interesting ideas