On the hot seat:
Laura Miller: Personal Finance Reporter for The Daily Telegraph
- Ideally need to pitch the previous week for ideas Laura can take to the Monday 10am Money conference. Tuesday and Wednesday’s are best.
- Works from home on a Wednesday. Don’t pitch on a Thursday or Friday.
- Monday and Tuesday’s best also for meetings / lunches. Either come into TMG building in Victoria (in house café) or book near office.
- Online focus vs Print – summer months print copy reduces. Financial year 20 pages
- Hosts the Podcast – coming back in the autumn.
- Receives over 100 emails a day. Subject line and first 3 bullet points or paragraphs read:
- Keep emails jargon free to demystify issues to readers.
- What’s the news here? What’s important
- Do follow up by email – not phone.
- Paper audience is older (70s) / wealthier. Online audience is younger.
- Exclusives are best. Main rival is The Times (daily and Sunday)/ Money Mail. If appears there – less likely to use story. Be honest, we want the exclusive and this makes your pitch more powerful / am interested more. Embargoes are handy.
- Interested in more women specialists to be quoted. Variety of voices.
- Big events (Budget day) – do engage before. Help what to look out for. Day of the budget – single quotes from specialist very helpful. Round-Ups too.
- Real life case studies – will need to speak to the individual.
- Big data research – needs credibility (who uses the data; # of people referenced)
- Monday 10am is Money conference meeting.
- Thursday is deadline day for Saturday edition; Friday for Sunday edition
- Print copy will be added to Online. Some online may find itself in Print – TMG has an online first strategy. If story is too good or can’t wait, will post online first.
- Lauren Davidson – Head of Personal Finance
- Sam Brodbeck – PF Editor.
- Taha Lokhandwala – Investment Editor
- Online focus – point person:
- Taha Lokhandwala (Investment Editor)
- Jonathan Jones
- Harry Brennan
- Marianna Hunt
- Laura Miller
- Adam Williams
- Sam Meadows
- Sam Barker
- Bills & Utilities
- Sam Meadows
- Online Producer
- Sophie Smith
- Consumer Champion
- Katie Morley investigates column