In the hot seat:
Dipal Acharya: Arts and Entertainment Director at ES Magazine
- Dipal is still on maternity leave
- Looking to go back to work early 2020
- She loves being called at her desk – not mobile
- Generally, hotel reviews take place at the weekend and when reviewing somewhere she doesn’t want any arranged meetings or a hotel tour
- 1 night for reviews sometimes isn’t sufficient enough to review a property properly – PRs need to be flexible
- She reads and files every single email – always explain why you are sending something over
- Loves meeting for a coffee, meeting near the office mid-morning is preferred, breakfast meetings don’t work for her due to internal meetings
- ES Magazine has an ABC1 readership
- ES runs on Thursday and Friday so double exposure for clients
- 3-4-month lead time for identifying stories and there are quarterly meetings to plan content and stories
- ES Magazine production team works a week in advance. Press day is a Friday for the following week’s issue.
- Exclusives and embargoes are important for ES Magazine. Likes 2-3 weeks space in-between an exclusive in ES and the story running in another title. ES Mag prefer a different take on a story to the story offered to other title.
- The cover can change very quickly due to unforeseen events
- Blanket rule that no one from ES Magazine goes on group trips
- Staff have to take their own leave and do not want to travel with other journalists featuring the same place
- London audience only therefore content is very focussed to this
- Capital Gains = a page dedicated for London Events
- ESCAPE = outside London and overseas travel
- 3 formats for travel pages: listed guide, a round-up of 3-4 places as part of a feature on an area and a write through (full review)
- Images are important and a select few should be kept back for ES’ exclusive use
- Readers are not wanting to fly as much due to eco consciousness – sustainability credentials are becoming more Important to the consumer
- People are not wanting to go far away for short periods of time so 2020 even bigger focus on the UK and Europe – travel is mainly focused on a destination, not just a hotel
- The more exciting and surprising the pitch for a cover star the better – does not have to be high profile. Just needs to have a story.
Our database provides you with the right tools for the job. We offer you unique innovations, on top of all the expected services of traditional media databases. If you want to be better prepared and informed with real PR intelligence sign up for a free trial today.