Friday Q and A with Samuel Muston - Deputy Editor of Mr Porter
Samuel is Deputy Editor of Mr Porter, Samuel works across The Journal and Post. Previously Deputy Editor and Food Editor at The Independent Magazine, and before that a Feature Writer.
1. What makes you open an email from a PR?
A name I recognise, a subject line that engages, or the word “invitation”.
2. Would you open emails from PR’s you don’t know?
Yes, of course. But obviously you more readily answer a message from someone you know.
3. Do you answer your landline during a working day?
Never. If I can help it.
4. Do you like images within a PR pitch?
Yes, these are essential. Without them, the email is pretty useless, I am afraid. Even a render is better than nothing.
5. When is the best time for you to meet a PR?
Breakfast works best. Or for a coffee in my office.
6. And which day suits the most?
Thursdays and Friday – these are our less busy days.
7. What are your top 2 tips for a PR trying to secure coverage?
Be open about what you need in terms of coverage from the beginning.
Don’t over promise. Don’t ask for the world when you know you know the product is only worth Belgium.
8. Are you happy to be contacted via social media / what are the boundaries?
I personally prefer email, to be honest.
9. Spirulina or Sauvignon?
10. Stylist or The Spectator?
I like a mixture of both.
Follow Samuel’s travels on Instagram