Friday Q and A with Lucy Cleland
Lucy is the founding editor of Country & Town House. She’s been in the glossy magazine business for around 20 years and divides her time between the glamour of Acton and the mud and wellies of the New Forest with her husband and two children.
1. What makes you open an email from a PR?
• If I know and like them! • The subject line.
2. Would you open emails from PR’s you don’t know?
3. Do you answer your landline during a working day?
Yes, if it’s direct to me. If via switchboard, I often ask reception to take a message.
4. Do you like images within a PR pitch?
Yes – pretty crucial. Fashion, interiors, or travel emails without images? Come on!
5. When is the best time for you to meet a PR?
Breakfast or morning coffee.
6. And which day suits the most?
Wednesday or Thursday.
7. What are your top 2 tips for a PR trying to secure coverage?
• Know the magazine/media and role of the person you’re actually meeting. E.g. audience, distribution, tone, content and style. • Follow-up. Why bother having a meeting if you aren’t going to do the follow-up?
8. Are you happy to be contacted via social media / what are the boundaries?
I personally have no social media channels, with good reason. I’m happy for the team to pass on any communications that come via our channels, though.
9. Spirulina or Sauvignon?
Both in equal measure.
10. Stylist or The Spectator?
Both. Life in balance, surely?
Follow Country and Townhouse on Instagram