Friday Q and A with Christine Hayes
Christine is the Editor In Chief at BBC Good Food, she is responsible for the editorial direction of Britain’s biggest food media brand. Christine was previously Editor of food lifestyle magazine olive.
1. What makes you open an email from a PR?
If it’s food or drink related, I will open it.
2. Would you open emails from PR’s you don’t know?
Yes, see above. But will delete if irrelevant.
3. Do you answer your landline during a working day?
No, I don’t have one! PRs I know well have my mobile.
4. Do you like images within a PR pitch?
Yes, they can be helpful.
5. When is the best time for you to meet a PR?
Breakfast, drinks or dinner. Lunch is usually too tricky these days.
6. And which day suits the most?
Tuesday to Thursday.
7. What are your top 2 tips for a PR trying to secure coverage?
• Demonstrate that you understand the Good Food audience. • Pitch to specific regular slots.
8. Are you happy to be contacted via social media / what are the boundaries?
Much prefer an email.
9. Spirulina or Sauvignon?
Neither! (Can I have chardonnay, please?)
10. Stylist or The Spectator?
Spectator, particularly drinks writer Henry Jeffreys.
Follow Christine’s travels on Instagram